RETURN OF SUNDAY MASSES (13/07/2020)
We will be resuming Sunday Masses with a congregation in the parish on Sunday 19th July.
The Mass times are as follows:
- Sunday 10.00am
- Sunday 11.00am
That will be the schedule until further notice. There will be no Saturday evening Mass or weekday Masses with a congregation at the present time.
A limit has been set on the number of people who can attend Mass in our church at any one time. This number has been set at 35 in order to comply with government and Diocesan social distancing requirements. This is, clearly, a significant reduction in our church capacity.
I would ask you all to reflect carefully on how and when you might be able to attend Mass. It is not possible for us to return immediately to our normal practices. This next step is not, in any sense, a moment when we are “going back to normal”. The usual Sunday obligation to attend Mass has been suspended for the time being.
We have a team of stewards who will be there to guide and help parishioners at each Mass. The guidelines are very clear that we cannot open the church without this assistance, and I am very grateful to everyone who has volunteered.
It is very important that you are aware of the following points before you come to Mass:
- The church will be open 15 minutes before the Mass is scheduled to start. Entrance is through the front doors only. Exit is by way of the back side door into the car park only.
- There is a queuing system in place outside the church, marked off at 2 metre intervals.
- Entry to the church will not be allowed once the capacity of 35 has been reached. There will be no re-entry to the church if you leave before the end of Mass.
- We have been instructed by the government to assist with NHS Track and Trace. Every parishioner, or household group, will be asked for contact details before entering the church. This record will be retained securely in the parish for 21 days before being destroyed.
- You must follow the guidance of stewards at all times, especially in respect of hygiene and social distancing requirements.
- The stewards will be wearing face masks. It is not mandatory for anyone attending Mass to do so, but the wearing of face masks in the church is allowed.
- The Mass will be shorter than usual, and there will be special arrangements in place at Holy Communion time. Please carefully follow the guidance of stewards.
- After exiting the church at the end of Mass, parishioners are urged by the guidelines not to congregate outside and to return home promptly.
- Please also be aware that the church toilet is closed.
I know that there are a lot of changes to get used to. The “new normal” is quite different. We will all need to be patient.
Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you.
Father Michael Ryan-Parish Priest
URGENT MESSAGE: VOLUNTEERS NEEDED (10/06/2020)
The government have issued Guidance on Re-opening of Catholic Churches for Individual Prayer. This is a first step towards opening for Mass. The guidelines stipulate that a team of stewards must be present each time the church is opened, to assist with social distancing and other directions. The number of occasions on which our church can be open is therefore dependent on the number and availability of volunteer stewards to carry out this important role. Masks and gloves will be provided for the stewards.
The volunteer stewards must not be in any Covid-19 vulnerable category and must be under 70 years of age.
WE WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO OPEN THE CHURCH FOR INDIVIDUAL PRAYER OR FOR MASS UNLESS SUFFICIENT VOLUNTEERS COME FORWARD.
If you are able to volunteer as a steward, please email Father Michael Ryan, parish priest, at the parish email address, email@example.com.
Coronavirus Update (18/03/2020)
ALL PUBLIC MASSES AND ACTS OF WORSHIP HAVE BEEN SUSPENDED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
To watch Mass and Services live then go to website
As attendance on Sunday Masses or the devotions is not possible, we ask that people watch the Masses on the CCTV and make a spiritual communion on Sunday, and indeed also during the week
Follow this link for a timetable of all live services currently on or upcoming within the next 2 hours on ChurchServices.tv:
Promotion of Spiritual Communion
In this time when one may not receive ‘sacramental’ Communion, the traditional idea of ‘spiritual’ Communion comes into focus. There are many types, but here is one.
“In a vision, Our Lord explained it to St. Catherine of Siena by showing her two chalices: one made of gold, the other of silver,” she wrote. “He told her that her sacramental Communions were preserved in the gold chalice and that her spiritual communions were in the silver chalice….
5:00pm – First Mass of Sunday
Tuesday – Friday:
Sacrament of Reconciliation
If you would like to receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation you are welcome to come and talk to the parish priest at the following times:
4:30pm – 4:50pm
Or call for an appointment
Please feel free to join, after 10am Friday Mass. For parents and grandparents to pray for their children.
Fr. Michael’s “Office Hour”
Fr. Michael’s Office Hour is held from 10:30 each Saturday.